Always prepare for the worst, but don't panic.
I am not worried about the last month or so of political bolstering from the North. They're doing a good job trying to make people panic, but the best thing we can all do is go on as normal with one change: have a plan.
Expats in S. Korea should do two things:
1. Pack an emergency bag.
2. Sign up for your consulate travel warnings.
Your emergency bag is the get out of dodge bag. It's your evacuation bag. It should be small and basic. Mine is a backpack. It has a change of clothes, sundries (toothbrush, brush, spare glasses, contact case), my USA track phone (even though it has no minutes), and an international power converter, and my laptop. I don't carry my passport around, but it is next to the door with my bag.
I signed up for USA travel warnings about a month ago when this all started. I kept putting it off. They sent me a 'don't panic' email last week and I'm going to assume that since they have my phone number if something bad happens they will call or text and email me with instructions.
For a more detailed take on the whole thing, head over to JackK's blog. I'm pretty much on par with his sentiments.
No comments:
Post a Comment